RPAC stands for the REALTORS® Political Action Committee. IAR organized RPAC to collect political contributions and provide assistance to candidates who support issues important to the real estate profession. RPAC is — and always will be — a fair, legal and vital way for REALTORS® to speak in a unified voice.
RPEC is the REALTORS® Political Education Committee. RPEC contributions are used to further the political education and awareness of our membership and the public. The contributions are also used for issues mobilization, coalition building and the development of brochures and position papers. RPEC money cannot be used for campaign contributions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHY IS RPAC IMPORTANT?
Because public policy shapes our business — No matter where you live or how far it seems from the state capital or Washington, D.C., laws affecting the real estate industry are passed every year. Elected officials regularly pass laws on taxation, mortgage finance, housing, private property rights and licensure. Many of these laws determine how we as real estate professionals do business and impact the profitability of our business. Because campaign contributions make a difference — By pooling the resources of many REALTORS®, the cost of campaign contributions is spread broadly and REALTORS® collectively have a voice.
ESTIMATED SAVINGS FROM STOPPING A SALES TAX ON YOUR COMMISSION
WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?
70% of your contribution goes to Iowa RPAC to support candidates for the state legislature and other state and local offices. The other 30% goes to NAR to support candidates for the U.S. Congress upon the recommendation of the state RPAC trustees.
Contribution decisions are made by the RPAC trustees, a nine-member committee nominated by the IAR nominating committee and elected by the IAR membership to serve staggered three-year terms. The main objective of the RPAC trustees is to help elect candidates who support REALTOR® issues. The decisions made by the RPAC trustees depend upon a candidate’s position on key real estate issues, the REALTOR® relationship with a candidate in the home district, committee assignments and leadership position. Contributions are given to candidates of both major political parties.
Leave A Comment